A revolutionary virtual bank that puts customers at the heart of everything
The bank was launched within 18 months and now has over 400,000 customers who enjoy a one-stop-shop banking and lifestyle experience at their fingertips.
Celent Model Bank award for Retail Digital Banking
First virtual bank to support both Apple Pay & Google Pay
Strong encryption, biometric login and fraud protection
Mox in numbers
while retaining its helm as the top mobile banking app in Asia and Hong Kong
uses of the Mox Card in a 12 month period, amounting to HKD2 billion spent
Revolutionising personal banking
With the backing of Standard Chartered, Mox was established to disrupt existing norms and to raise the bar of possibility in personal banking. The aim was to build a new bank from the ground up to serve the needs of millennials and others demanding mobile-only banking.
Mox chose GFT as its strategic technology partner because the company had the right mix of business and technology skills and a sound delivery track record. In addition, Mox selected Thought Machine’s “Vault” as its core banking platform to facilitate infinite customisation and end-user configuration. The entire bank would run on AWS cloud.
While rapid delivery was a prime consideration, other essentials included platform security, stability and availability.
- Mox partners – GFT, Thought Machine and AWS
- Bank entirely on the cloud
- Security, stability and availability of prime importance
Partnership at work
GFT and Thought Machine created a new blueprint for the growing virtual banking market in only 18 months. The partners delivered a ground-breaking virtual banking solution for Hong Kong.
The entire technology stack, which runs on AWS cloud, was built by a team of 70 expert engineers using Agile methods, DevOps and continuous delivery. Thought Machine’s unique system of smart contracts empowers the bank to create unique financial products, with minimal technical expertise.
Collaboration and co-creation ensured that Mox benefited from the latest technology, built to the highest standards, and an unprecedented pace of delivery. The new architecture signals a new era of personalised banking based on:
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning to streamline anti-money laundering compliance and personalise the customer experience.
- A near real-time data catalogue on an event-driven architecture, to ensure continuous compliance and strong data governance.
- Personalisation technologies, including biometric customer onboarding, gamification of brand loyalty and real-time product funnel data sets to adapt offerings and messaging to the user.
- Security: Strong encryption, biometric login, Lost Wallet and e-Commerce Fraud Protection. Customers can also freeze or activate their card with one tap.
- Personalisation and engagement: Customers can set up saving goals (Smart Saving) and pay/receive money from anyone, anytime in Hong Kong. They can also track their progress in real-time and use the Savings Calculator to automate saving habits.
- Monitoring of real-time account activity and balance with instant categorisation (Smart Spending).
A trusted bank that sets new standards
Mox has revolutionised banking in Hong Kong. As an app-only bank it sets new standards in convenience: customers can have banking their way and enjoy a world-class user experience.
As a cloud-native bank, Mox combines the highest standards of security with maximum user flexibility. But from an operational perspective it also shows how technology can deliver a new banking culture that’s innovative, agile and puts the customer at the heart of everything.
As well as a streamlined experience, Mox customers benefit from unique insights from spending patterns, budgeting and automating of saving habits and a constant stream of innovation. The bank is now positioned for further growth, confident in the knowledge that its ground-breaking infrastructure is stable and offers the highest security standards. And being cloud based, processing costs are aligned with business success.
- Open an account in record time: using a ‘selfie’ and basic ID, customers can open an account in under three minutes.
- First virtual bank in Hong Kong to support both Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Over 400,000 customers.
- 6 million users of the Mox card in 12 months, amounting to HKD2 billion spent
- All-in-one numberless credit cards.
Download - just one click away
Revolutionising personal banking